Georgia – Tennessee

Happy CamperBeen too busy to write! Can anyone tell us when we will stop feeling like we are on vacation?! We once took a six-week road trip when our girls were young, so we guess it will be longer than that before we begin to realize that we are home, and not going home!

Our time at Stone Mountain Park, GA was wonderful, but too brief. The RV park is beautiful with hundreds of sites offering various hook-ups and amenities for all. The theme park is super, very kid-friendly, which is good because we have a super cute and adventurous kid with us! We loved the sky lift ride to the top of Stone Mountain, the massive granite mountain with plateaus to walk on and fantastic 360 degree views! The mountain is only 1% exposed; the other 99% is underground and reaches into several neighboring states!

The famous carving on the side of the mountain is bigger than Mount Rushmore and the nightly laser show that illuminates it is high energy with fun animation, special effects, great music and patriotic inspiration. Another highlight was our first ride on a duck boat, which is an amphibious vehicle that starts on land and then goes bow first down a boat ramp into the lake for a cruise. Of course, everyone gets a duck whistle while boarding so the quacking is unending, but part of the fun. 🙂

We had our dear friends from Atlanta, the Hamilton Family, visit us for our first RV dinner party. Note to self: don’t use the oven twice on a 99 degree day! We ate outside which was almost cooler than in!

Raccoon Mountain Campground in Chattanooga was our next stop for a week. Ahh, a week in one spot is a very good thing! We visited another dear friend, Heather, and got to meet her fiancé, Alex and his young son. We helped with some projects on her vintage home (including capturing a raccoon caught in the walls!), enjoyed the Nightfall outdoor music and food event downtown, and worshipped together at New City Fellowship East Lake.

After spending an afternoon at the Tennessee Aquarium (our granddaughter was crazy for the jellyfish exhibits!), we met up with our niece, Dee, and her boyfriend, Grant, who treated us to a fabulous dinner at Community Pie downtown.

Another day we drove up Lookout Mountain to see the lovely campus of Covenant College and trekked to Ruby Falls on the way back down the mountain. We have seen the Ruby Falls billboards on the interstate oh so many times, but never stopped. It is worth the stop for sure! The cave is wondrous and the hidden centerpiece is the 145 foot waterfall, named by the discoverer for his wife.

Raccoon Mountain Campground also had a spectacular cave tour. The 60 degree temperatures inside these caves offer a welcome relief from the nineties outside!

Montgomery Bell State ParkToday we reached our Nashville destination, Montgomery Bell State Park, for another week, sweet! The trees are so tall! And there are beautiful lakes and fun campground activities calling to us. Also on tap for the weekend is the Grand Ole Opry and 4th of July fireworks at the riverfront. God Bless America, land that we love!

Comments are closed.